Monday, August 10, 2009

Purpose by Juan Roberts

Recently, multiple emails came from brothers in the UK, Chicago and here in LA. Main question: “how do I find my purpose?” I’m no expert on the subject, but below is my response to them, regarding what I know to be true in my life.

As the Lord has given me gifts and talents, I’ve learned to use them … all of them. The challenge is that many times, I forgot that I was not in control, but was simply a steward. I knew that, but it took a while for the reality to bounce around in my thick skull. I see now, at 49, that my purpose is inextricably woven to my gifts.

Today, I strive to do everything that God gives me to do, using my gifts and talents. Inherent in my gifting is a call to serve; a call to be a disciple … a cat that must do whatever it is with a sense of urgency. We never know who or what circumstance is depending on our obedience and sacrifice.

Don’t get it twisted; I’m not the ‘walk up to you in the mall and witness about the Lord’ (although I have done it). I am called to share what Christ reveals to me, in as creative a way as possible. A learned Noel Jones or scholarly Thomas Jakes is not my profile, but I am working to be a great Juan Roberts. Determined to serve with humility in whatever capacity God deems fit for me.

Through fear, trepidation, confusion or rejection, I trust Him to guide my footsteps each new day through the ebbs and valleys of life. I have learned to never waist a minute getting to an assignment. As Bishop Jakes says, 'I step into each moment.' When He says go -- I MOVE. I encourage anyone reading this to work your gift with zeal to the fullest. Please know that within your active faith is your purpose.

bro. Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment